Recently, I have been getting an increasing number of questions regarding blogging in general, and specifically, how to become a “top mom blog.” Many of you know that I am both a personal trainer and a web marketing specialist. I usually say that web marketing is my career, and health and fitness are my passion. In my case, I am able to use my career to promote my passion and extend my influence beyond the gym (best case scenario? — yeah, I would say so).
A couple weeks ago, I was named a “top mommy blog” and placed on topmommyblogs.com! Click on the icon to check out their site. You will get some great ideas if blogging is something you are interested in as well! I originally started blogging because I had a hard time finding good information about fit pregnancy on the internet. Also, one of my gym clients asked me to write a book, and since I was already a web marekting specialist, I thought a blog was a better fit. As a personal trainer and a mom, I believe that I have the expertise and passion to help other moms be happy and healthy, so I blog!
But what about you? Are you interested in starting and maintaining a mom blog? Do you enjoy reading mom blogs? Have you been looking for a way to make money from home? Are you on social media and other websites quite a bit as it is? Not only is a mom blog a fun place to share your ideas and inspirations — it can be a way to make a little income! There are a couple ways that you can make money from blogging: You can allow adverstisements on your site, or you can be a paid blogger for another third-party site. I do not currently accept advertisements on my site (because I am on wordpress.com, and they ban advertisers), but I am considering moving to a new web host that will allow me to have paid advertisers and make some money from views on my blog. I have also applied to be a paid blogger for two different national companies. I am waiting to hear back (crossing my fingers).
If you want to have a successful mom blog, you need to drive traffic to your site by doing the following:
- Post unique, value-added content regularly (I usually suggest at least two or three posts per week)
- Use important keywords that moms search often on an organic search (Google or Bing) related to your topics
- Share your posts on social media (Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, etc) that directs back to your blog
- Network with other bloggers to create non-reciprocal links to your site
- Utilize Google Analytics and social media stats to drive your content strategy
Sounds easy enough, right? So, why not get started?!? Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about blogging or would like to start your own mom blog. 🙂 I would love to consult with you and show you how to maximize your efforts on the web. Best wishes.
* Update: The day after I published this post, I was invited to WordAds through wordpress.com. I am now part of an exclusive group of sites that have been approved into the WordAds Beta, and make money from these ads (you can likely see a video or small ad at the bottom of this page. WordAds is a partnership. On the WordAds and wordpress.com side, the WordAds team will focus on maximizing my earnings potential. On my side, the more traffic I get, the more I earn.
WordAds seem to be great so far. No controversial content at all. The ads do not pertain to fit pregnancy and parenting, or nutrition, but they are interesting. I am thrilled to be part of WordAds, and I hope you find the ads to be interesting. If they compromise the content on my site, I will turn them off. But so far so good! If you have any questions about WordAds or how to develop a great blog and be approved for paid advertising on your site, please let me know!