What is the secret to being a happy mom? Is there a special formula? Does it require a perfect husband, perfect kids, tons of money, and unlimited free time to workout?
- Get Fit! A fit mom is a happy mom. If you are healthy, you will be able to cope with the difficult or challenging situations that inevitably arise. If you exercise consistently and are in good shape, you will have far more energy to get through the day successfully. And if you are healthy and fit, you will be much more confident with your body. The Sweat Pink sisters and Fitfluential Ambassador moms are committed to daily exercise, and as a result, they have a positive outlook and hopeful spirit.
- Prioritize alone time for yourself — everyday. I have the blessing of a fantastic job. I work full-time, but only go into the gym or office about 20 hours per week. For me, it’s the perfect amount of time away from the house and a great opportunity for me to socialize, dress up, and be professional. I have trained tons of moms in the gym, and those who take time to (at least) get away for a workout once per day, or work a part-time job, seem much happier than those who never spend time away from their kids. I try to go out with girlfriends a couple of times per month as well for a pedi, dinner out, or shopping. Time away helps us appreciate our kids (and husband) even more!
- Eat healthy! I’m a personal trainer, so I’m sure you could see this one coming. But seriously, eating a nutritious, balanced diet will help to stabilize the hormone levels in your brain. I follow the 80/20 rule — 80% “clean” food throughout the day, and 20% treats If you are unsure about how to eat healthy, log your food intake on caloriecount.com.
- Stop being so hard on yourself. We all want to be the perfect wife, perfect employee, perfect friend, and perfect mom. But, it’s not easy! Stop comparing yourself with those around you. Rather, compare yourself with yourself! Aim to be the best version of yourself. Only then will you be content.
- Choose to be happy. Do not let your attitude be controlled by your circumstances. Happiness does not always come naturally. It is a choice and a committment. I recently had a conversation with a working mom who is very discontent with her circumstances. She does not like working, and is living in constant regret. Unfortunately, many of our circumstances cannot be controlled or changed. Choose to maintain a positive attitude and joy through all circumstances. It is one of the best gifts you could give to your child.
Best wishes on your journey to become a fit and happy mom. I truly want the best for all of my readers, and if there is any way that I can encourage you — please let me know!